Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Out of the Blue

Today, out of the blue, I thought about a Filipino-American author by the name of Tess Uriza Holthe whose first novel, When the Elephants Dance, is a New York Times bestseller. It was back in 2003 when I was invited by the president at the time, I believe, of the Filipino-American National Historical Society-Wisconsin Chapter to attend a book signing by the said author at the Schwartz bookstore in Shorewood. I instantly looked up the book and borrowed it from the local library and read it in 3 days!
She was already reading a portion of her book when I walked into the bookstore. There were a few attendants from FANHS-WI. When Tess was finished reading, I proceeded to buy a copy of her book and had her sign it. She and I posed for a picture that my husband took. I printed two copies of the picture: one I framed and the other I pasted on the book that she signed.
Anyway, I decided to look her up on Facebook and I found her! I started reading her blog and I visited her website where I learned that she had published another book in 2007 titled, The Five-Forty-Five to Cannes, which is a series of short-stories connected together. I can't wait to get my hands on this book and read it. She is one of my idols. I am proud of her and I am proud to be Filipino!

No comments:

Post a Comment