Monday, June 14, 2010

The Five-Forty-Five to Cannes

At last, I finished reading The Five-Forty-Five to Cannes. Since I started reading it last Wednesday, I haven't been able to concentrate on anything else. I had to force myself to forget about it so I could get on with my day-to-day activities. So relieved was I when we did not go to a car show Friday evening but I still had to get ready for the picnic the next day. So I read, little by little each day until I was more than halfway today and I was determined to finish it then.
The book did not disappoint. It was very engaging, fast-paced like a train ride, taking the reader to different places, seeing different nationalities and hearing different languages. Tess Uriza Holthe is brilliant. I love how she uses poetic language as if it were ordinary language; how she describes something poetically but without trying to emphasize it too much so that you read it ordinarily but the meaning is deep and the impact, lasting.
Ah, another good book to keep in my library. Now I can rest having finished reading it and let the story and characters just linger in my head...It is one that I can read again. I don't know when but I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment