Friday, July 16, 2010

Desiderata

I took out the poem book I created when I was thirteen that my brother, Jonas, bound for me, so that I can add my new poem, “Summer” in it. I seldom write poems these days. The last one was about four years ago so my poem book was just sitting where it was for that length of time. I fondly gazed at the cover: the poem, “Desiderata” typed on pretty pink stationery. Reading it again evoked some memories and emotions.
Growing up in the Philippines I can recall two things that radio stations play constantly during Lent (more so during holy week), besides the usual story of Jesus: “Footprints in the Sand” and “Desiderata.” (Radio stations were a staple medium when I was growing up. Not everyone had TVs, but everyone had radios.) These two poems have stuck in my head and have lasting impact on me personally.
Desiderata, I know the words by heart. I can still hear that deep male voice, as if he were God Himself, reading the poem with the background music playing; the radio blasted, being the center of our tiny living room put up on the highest shelf so that its sound can resonate in the entire house. I can still sing the following verse, the only verse that is sung during the entire reading:

“You are a child of the universe
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.”

It is very uplifting and inspiring. Every time I read it, it gives me a new perspective on life, the world, its people and our Creator. It is a morale booster, I think.
Below is the full text. I hope it will inspire and uplift you like it does me every time I read it.


Desiderata
By Maxx Ehrmann

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible, without surrender,
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even to the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
they are vexatious to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain or bitter,
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs,
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals,
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love,
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,
it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace in your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

For more info on Desiderata, go to: http://www.fleurdelis.com/desidera.htm

1 comment: