Monday, March 7, 2011

Lea Salonga in "Les Miserables"


Last Saturday, my husband worked overtime doing the pledge breaks during Milwaukee Public Television's Pledge Drive. Before he left the house, he told me that the feature show was going to be "Les Miserables" with my favorite Filipina performer, Lea Salonga. I tuned in expecting to see Lea as the character, Eponine, but much to my surprise, this was the 25th Anniversary performance of "Les Miserables" at the O2 arena in London, not the 10th anniversary. And Lea was not Eponine anymore, but Fantine--Cosett's unfortunate mother. She took on a more mature role since she performed the younger role of Eponine 15 years ago. But her voice was still strong, her performance riveting! The song, "I Dreamed a Dream" was hair-raising. It amazed me how she sounded and almost looked the same all those years gone by.
This performance included the beloved old cast and promising new ones including Samantha Barks (Eponine), Nick Jonas (Marius) of the Jonas Brothers and Katie Hall (Cosette).
After seeing the 25th Anniversary performance, I'm going to look for my 10th Anniversary copy and watch that one. Then I'm on a quest to find the book by Victor Hugo and maybe listen to my copy of "Miss Saigon" which also features no other than Lea Salonga herself. Both "Le Miz" and "Miss Saigon" are produced by non other than British producer, Cameron Mackintosh.
Thanks to my hubby for the heads up. Lea Salonga mode: ON.

No comments:

Post a Comment