Thursday, March 25, 2010

Emotional Connection Between Writer and Character

We, as the readers, ride in the roller coaster of emotions that characters in a book go through. Even more so for the writer who writes the story. The connection to the characters' emotions is deeper. I feel their joy and their sorrow, their disappointments and their triumphs. I remember one day when I was still writing "Portrait of Young Woman." I was writing the emotional reunion of Eva and Marissa, I cried my eyes out. In the middle of my good cry, the doorbell rang. I couldn't help the tears that were falling from my eyes even when I opened the door. It was our neighbor. I was so embarrassed at the mess that I must have looked I had to explain to her why I was crying. I don't know if she truly believed me or if she could even comprehend it all.
Most of the emotional scenes are hard to write but only when a writer truly feels what the character is feeling at the moment that she conveys those emotions to her readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment